The registration for the seminars of the TUM School of Management is NOT available viaTUMonline, but via the new seminar placement tool: https://seminars.wi.tum.de
Lecturer: Dr. Andreas Biagosch, Prof. Dr. Gunther Friedl
Supervisors: David Matthäus, Anna Hepp, Johannes Trenkle, Lukas Schloter
Semester weekly hours: 4
Registration: This course is limited to 30 participants.
Structure of the course:
The examination consists of three parts: cases at 5 business partners, a presentation of an own case and a written case. The team size varies between 2 - 5 students. At the business partners, the students learn how to solve a case as a team under time and information constraints. They also acquire practical knowledge on how to concisely present their results. The presentation of their own case is in front of the class and a relevant external business partner. The particular learning objective here is the business judgement and the solution to a real-world business problem. The participants show their communication skills in class and in front of the external industry experts. In the written case, the students show their acquired skills in structuring an own case including the case solution.
Naumes, William / Naumes, Margaret J. (2006): The Art & Craft of Case Writing, 2. edition, Armonk 2006.
Examples for cases:
Möslein, Kathrin / Matthaei, Emilio (2009): Strategies for Innovators, Wiesbaden 2009.
Grading is based on three parts:
- Solving and presenting of cases at five business partners (15% of final grade)
- a case study written in a team in English on a self-selected topic (40% of final grade)
- a presentation of the case study (45% of final grade)
The seminar can only be passed if all parts are passed. The seminar can also only be repeated as whole seminar.
- 21.10.2019, 03:00 - 06:00 PM (Room 0544): Kick-off to clarify organizational questions and Dr. Biagosch will provide hints for the presentations and the work on solving and writing case studies. Participation is mandatory.
- 30.10.2019, 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM (Room 2403): Case idea discussion with Dr. Biagosch. You have the opportunity to discuss your topic and hypotheses.
- 25.11.2019 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM (Room 2403): Case storyline discussion with Dr. Biagosch. You will discuss the structure and storyline of your case study. More information during the kick-off.
- 08.01.2020 and 09.01.2020 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM (Room 2403): Presentation of your case study with solution.
- 17.01.2020, 12:00 AM (midnight): Deadline for handing in the case study.
Additionally, there are five events for solving case studies with partnering companies. The participation is mandatory.
- Deloitte: 04.11.2019, 01:45 - 06:00 PM
- Pro7Sat1: 11.11.2019, 02:00 - 06:00 PM
- Wacker Chemie: 21.11.2019, 03:00 - 07:00 PM
- Oliver Wyman: 28.11.2019, 02:15 - 08:00 PM
- EY: 11.12.2019, 03:00 - 08:00 PM
For questions, please contact David Matthäus.